We woke up and packed and Zach came over and we hung out some more. By nine we were packed up and suited up and ready to leave Durham. We took lovely group pictures in the parking lot of Janelle’s apartment and as we rode away Zach and Janelle chased us. If they thought that they would run next to us all the way to Maine, they quickly realized that it would be very difficult. We were sad to leave Janelle and Zach. We love them thank you Zach thank you Janelle. We pedaled through downtown Durham, and down a country road, out of the city. We rode through pretty country, up and down hills, and past a military reservation. For lunch, we pulled over under a tree in a valley. I (David) ate a block of raw ramen coated in peanut butter and liked it. This was something that Hillary could not accept. We rode through More country, and pretty soon we heard barking. It was an angry Dalmatian that wanted to get us. So we had to ride real hard to get away from him. For david this was an event of good fun like a jolly footrace, but for Hillary this was an agony and a terror. The problem is that this Dalmatian was only one of a whole angry rash of bad bad North Carolina dogs who at regular intervals would emerge from the houses and yards we passed, barking and chasing. Hillary has to admit that she has never in her life performed any feat of speed on the bicycle, preferring always to go at an unimpressive but steady pace. So the constant alternation between steady-pace and breakneck speed with a dog on our tails was very taxing and hateful to her. Every time we were chased by a dog our optimism was lessened and lessened to a tiny amount. We saw many dead snakes. Eventually, we crossed the Virginia state line, which wasn’t well marked. Our directions told us to take a certain bike trail that we couldn’t find no matter where we looked, and which later we found out doesn’t even exist, so we decided to ignore our directions, and take the big road into the town where we were planning to spend the Clarksville, VA. After a stop at food lion, we rolled through downtown Clarksville, and headed to a mcdonalds for wifi. As we sat down, a curious older woman asked us where we came from and where we were going, and she couldn’t believe our answer. She said, “I hope you’re carrying God with you,” and we said yes. She talked to us for a while. She had us write down our names so she could add them to her nightly prayer list. Her name was Ms. Peggy Riddle. She gave us cards with scripture on them and told us her 79th birthday is next Thursday. She also invited us to stay with her next time we’re in Clarksville. She sat down with her friends as we continued writing our previous blog entry. A few minutes later, a man approached us asking if that really was a Cannondale parked outside. We said it was. He said he has one too. He asked us our story and replied that he rode about 3 miles a few months ago and it was hard on him. We talked for a while. He said he couldn’t wait to tell his brother that he knew of a Cannondale that was going to Maine, and a girl was riding it! We left and rode across a lake on a bridge and entered Occoneechee state park, which was lakefront and beautiful. We found our campsite and did nightly chores. We retired at 10.

Catsburg and cat girl

The Eno river



PB and Ramen

Water fill up station

A field

The poorly marked state line

Cruisin’ over the lake

Our campsite

Dusk on the lake

The moon